Author Topic: Probably polycystic - herbs?  (Read 1991 times)

Offline lifeflower

• View Profile
Probably polycystic - herbs?
« on: April 06, 2015, 04:44:15 AM »
Apparently, I missed Dawn on here... oh well, maybe others can help?

I'm guessing that I'm polycystic (acne, a bit too much hair, very painful periods...). Are there any herbs / foods / practices that help you stabilize things? Currently I have to pop 1-3 advils per day in the first 1-3 days of my period, otherwise I end up throwing up and almost passing out (I'm guessing a blood pressure drop, but not sure). I used to also have high breast tenderness for a week before my period (as in, I couldn't even go down the stairs without holding them down). Cutting out milk and dairy (and maybe most sugar) seemed to have solved that. The skin thing is quite annoying, as every month there's a flush of new problems for about a week, that then slowly heals until the next month, following my hormonal changes.

While I'd love to sort out the skin and hair problems, the pain is really my biggest enemy. We're not trying for a kid yet, but we probably will be soon enough, and if I can sort things out now, that would be great.

Any advice and personal tidbits would be helpful.
[NO advertising links please ~Brad]

Offline Brad

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Probably polycystic - herbs?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 10:29:45 AM »
Ouch.  That doesn't sound like anything I would ever want to imagine.

Here are some things I could find.  I have no knowledge of this and am not suggesting any particular treatment, and if you try any of this, you are doing so on your own accord and sole responsibility.

http://natural-fertility-info.com/painful-menstruation-natural-remedies.html
Natural Remedies for Painful Menstruation

That webpage lists a few herbs for use.

Here is an excerpt from one study I found:

Clinical Roundup: Selected Treatment Options for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. (2013). Alternative & Complementary Therapies, 19(2), 101-106. doi:10.1089/act.2013.19205

"Herbs and nutrientsód-Chiro-inositol is a natural carbohydrate compound available as a dietary supplement. Research shows that it increases insulin sensitivity, reduces serum testosterone, lowers blood pressure and serum triglycerides, and improves ovulatory function in patients who have PCOS.4 A traditional Chinese herbal formula, Tian Gui, made with 11 botanical ingredients, has been shown to ameliorate PCOS by regulating ovarian function and insulin levels.5 Another traditional Asian formula, containing Glycyrrhiza glabra (licorice) and Paeonia spp. (peony) root, reduces plasma testosterone levels and induces ovulation in patients with PCOS.6 In another study, licorice root reduced serum testosterone, and was recommended by the researchers as a potential adjuvant therapy for treating PCOS and hyperandrogenism.7 In my practice, I also recommend a comprehensive formula for metabolic health when I treat patients who have PCOS. This formula contains traditional Asian botanicals; medicinal mushrooms; sodium alginates; and the nutrients chromium polynicotinate, lipoic acid, and taurine. Such a formula helps improve glucose and insulin profiles, balance hormones, support fat and sugar metabolism, and reduce inflammation."

I also found a couple studies which might be of use to you in their entirety.  Here are the citations, I'll try to link the journal articles below for your review.

Gupta, G., Gupta, N., & Singh, R. (2015). Ultrasonographic Case-series Study in cases of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome in response to Homeopathic Drugs. Homoeopathic Heritage, 40(12), 39-50.

Meletis, C., & Zabriskie, N. (2006). Natural approaches for treating polycystic ovary syndrome. Alternative & Complementary Therapies, 12(4), 157-164.

Offline Brad

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 10:35:15 AM »
Gupta, G., Gupta, N., & Singh, R. (2015). Ultrasonographic Case-series Study in cases of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome in response to Homeopathic Drugs. Homoeopathic Heritage, 40(12), 39-50.

Offline Brad

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 10:35:58 AM »
Meletis, C., & Zabriskie, N. (2006). Natural approaches for treating polycystic ovary syndrome. Alternative & Complementary Therapies, 12(4), 157-164.