Author Topic: Light and Photo period of Panax  (Read 3140 times)

Offline timbo

• View Profile
Light and Photo period of Panax
« on: August 06, 2013, 09:07:45 AM »
In regards to ginseng favoring northern slopes. Could it have something to do with the photo period such an exposure would have. The sun starts is track further north in the summer months, illuminating northern slope more in the am and at sundown and very little at mid day. I was wondering if anyone has tried to replicate this with field grown? more shade at mid day , more light am ,pm. I would think this would dry the plants out in the morning and give them an energy boost at twilight. The sun is a lot less intense at these times of day too. I think this could be used in a forest setting as well. Maybe planting behind some pines/ hemlock etc?

Offline Brad

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Light and Photo period of Panax
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 02:46:05 PM »
I don't know if anyone has tried that or not.  My impression is that it is the heat of the sun on the plants that causes the most damage.  In the shaded fields of commercial growers, it is the heat buildup under the shade cloth that caused the seed shortage last year.  The plants just stressed out and aborted the seed heads. 

I grow a lot of ginseng on southwestern slopes.  So, I think the primary issue is the amount of shade and soil/drainage conditions, not so much which exposure is present.  In fact, I grew a dandy 4 prong beside my porch in town for a number of years.  It set behind a patch of cinnamon ferns which provided shade from a solely western exposure.  In fact, it has no eastern exposure at all because the house was in the way.

Offline timbo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 05:16:39 PM »
Yes , Heat is definitely an important factor. But , what I'm saying is northern slopes , from ten till 2 or 3 would be getting almost no light at all. This is why a northern or NE hill would be much cooler . I don't think for field cultivated you could do alot about the heat. Maybe a high tunnel house with multiple layers of shade cloth on top third. I bet growers have tried but due to cost vs space it's not feasible. I was wondering about availability of rootlets too , 1 year olds and some 2s. Got lots still , Brad?

Offline Brad

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 11:02:20 PM »
What they normally do is go from 7' high shade to 10' high.  However, this causes issues with wind.  <shrug>  its a trade off.

I have plenty of 2yr woodsgrown at the moment (I planted a LOT the last two years) and have a ton of the 1yr SELECTS left.  Prices are posted and the buy now and shopping cart buttons are live.

Offline timbo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 05:00:20 PM »
Is that like a gable roof style , which causes lift. I have tarped a lot of roofs. I have been keeping my eye open for a hoop greenhouse frame to try a cultivated patch. Figured could hurt.