Author Topic: Whats up?  (Read 2485 times)

Offline 5prong

• Association
    • View Profile
Whats up?
« on: April 26, 2012, 06:41:29 PM »
I was just wondering if any of you guys have checked on last falls wild sim plantings?  Mine have come up very well this spring.  -  Now if they will just continue to do well over the next 10 years or so  ;)

Offline Brad

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Whats up?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 09:50:18 PM »
Haven't gotten to the woods yet, was going today but decided I didn't want to go in the rain.  I planned to spray the woodsgrown while I was there.  The raised beds in the back are starting to look good. 

I talked to my seed supplier last evening and he was telling me that they are seeing similar results to mine.  Right under the straw they were seeing seed that hadn't even started grinning yet.  But, it had been very dry.  He said as soon as they got good rain, those seeds cracked and sprouted and his germination from last year's seed is excellent.  Mine in the raised beds are still emerging, the larger/older plants coming up later.

Offline JWforestSeng

• NW Forest Grown Ginseng. Voice Mail 800-566-2823
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 01:23:33 AM »
aha! So the "Grin" on the stratified seeds are a crack ready to sprout?
I'm Experimenting w NW Forest Grown Ginseng. Know anyone else in my area?

Offline Brad

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 11:58:10 PM »
Yes.  Some say that is a sign of good seed, but I know that while I like to see grinning seed, seed that isn't grinning isn't necessarily anything but awesome!  Grinning seed normally comes from being stratified in the ground or above ground and exposed to moisture.  Seed stratified above ground in a more modern fashion will not be grinning, but can still have very high viability.

For instance, the seed I sell comes from a commercial farm in Ontario.  It is stratified above ground without moisture.  The moisture in the sand is all it needs and it commonly tests in the low to mid 90% in viability tests.  But, you will never see a grinning seed in the bunch.

So the question becomes why stratify above ground.  First, they have the facilities to do so.  When the seed is picked in late August, it is depulped and treated and mixed with sand.  The sand/seed mix is placed into plastic totes and put into cold storage.  After the weather gets cold enough, they turn off the cooler and leave the seed in there to moderate the temperatures.  This avoids dipping very low at night which can cause rust.  In the spring, when things start to warm, the totes containing the sand and seed are moved into an open air barn.  They stay there, still no water being added, until they are ready to be planted in early August.  At that time, they are soaked in bleach water over night to hydrate (they typically float out of the box).  The seed still floating is discarded and it is spread out to surface dry so it will flow through the planter.  A viability test is performed and the seed is treated with a fungicide and planted.  With the exception of this past year, I've had nothing but stellar germination from this seed.

Your next question is why no water?  The reason for that is the belief that adding moisture adds risk of disease.  As long as very good results are being had without adding water, why take the chance of increased disease in the box by adding it at all?  Especially when the only draw back is there will be no grinning seed.