Author Topic: Moving Ginseng on your own property  (Read 4923 times)

Offline Hoser

• View Profile
Moving Ginseng on your own property
« on: February 13, 2011, 03:19:09 PM »
  I was wondering about moving plants that I have planted in my own woods.  These are plants I have planted myself and I was wondering if the harvest law applies to them or not?

Offline Brad

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Ginseng on your own property
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 07:19:30 PM »
First, welcome to the site!

The most honest answer I can give you is to check with your local wildlife officer and ask him or her.

Here in Ohio, depending on how I plant it and or maintain it, it is considered cultivated and I can do whatever I need/want to do.  However, if it is planted wild sim and left to grow as wild, it does indeed fall under the wild ginseng harvest laws.  There is nothing that stops you from digging it in the harvest season and moving it then, however.  Actually, this is the only time (August or later here)  you should move ginseng as to do so at any other time of year is not as likely to be successful.

I have moved wild plants from a location were they were not doing well and harvested them a few years later as much larger roots.

Offline Hoser

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 04:55:24 PM »
  Thanks, I'll have to get around to calling the warden for that county as I didn't have much time at all last year and there were about 60 plants I wanted to move this Spring that were a little crowded from their panting two years ago.  If you think Spring moving would be bad I suppose I should wait.

Offline Whitjr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 01:08:39 PM »
2nd the advice on checking the state laws. 

Here in NC, there have been a recent revision to the statutes [jan 03, 2011] that I'm still digesting.  However one of the old law stipulations was that you could dig all year long on your own property. That part has changed to only during the mandated harvest season.

I have found that I need to be expert on my state's laws....

Offline MichaelRamirez

• View Profile
    • http://essaycorrector.org/
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 04:49:57 AM »
I think that all you need to do is to just check it out with your local wildlife officer. We are not experts here.