Author Topic: Price differences cultivated verses wild simulated or wild  (Read 158 times)

Offline Aeriallighting

• View Profile
Price differences cultivated verses wild simulated or wild
« on: September 01, 2018, 09:08:25 AM »
  Completely new to the Ginseng world, but will be planting my first crop in a few weeks. I think I am going with 3 year old rootlets ( I will order from Emerald Castle ) and trying raised compost beds and direct ground burial in sandy soil with artificial shade. I have been researching Ginseng  for about a year and think I have a basic grasp, BUT, the one thing that confounds me is the price variance between wild ( 300 to 600 per pound by most articles ) and cultivated ( about $40 per pound ) I get the whole cultivated grows " carrot type" roots, fat and short, verses wild with longer more slender roots. I guess what I DON'T get is why we can't more closely simulate wild roots to get better prices? I see most cultivated ginseng is harvested at 3 or 4 years old, while wild is left for 6 to 8 ( depending on who you ask ). I also read some states are forming Coop's to help small growers get leverage on buyers. I am in Illinois and do not find much on the internet at all. I would sure like any opinions.   Dan

Offline Brad

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Price differences cultivated verses wild simulated or wild
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 07:21:04 PM »
I think I talked to you about this on the phone.  I'm hesitant to use compost.  However, it might make for a good experiment.

The difference in price is the differences in the market.  One is for a cultivated crop.  The second is for a wild crafted (or stimulated version thereof) roots.  Where a cultivated operation might produce 6000 dry pounds per acre per year, a wild ginseng digger who sells more than about 7 or 8 pounds a year here in Ohio raises the suspicion of law enforcement.

Offline Aeriallighting

• View Profile
Re: Price differences cultivated verses wild simulated or wild
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 05:24:38 PM »
Brad, Yes we did talk, I am leaving town for work but plan on spraying roughly 1/20th of an acre, I will wait for kill off, till it, wait a few weeks ( for new weed growth ) and either spray and till or just till it. I am going to try both direct plant low impact, raised bed, and raised bed with compost mixed in. The compost idea stems from the possibility that my soil is so sandy it just might not have the organic matter to be good for Ginseng. I had it analysed last year and as far as PH and other common nutrients it is not to bad. The PH was high so I put lime on and it tested pretty decent. I also spoke to a buddy of mine that has a considerable area of woods. The problem with that in Illinois is it will be considered wild grown and I cannot harvest until plants are 10 years old