Author Topic: Price differences cultivated verses wild simulated or wild  (Read 54 times)

Offline Aeriallighting

• View Profile
Price differences cultivated verses wild simulated or wild
« on: September 01, 2018, 09:08:25 AM »
  Completely new to the Ginseng world, but will be planting my first crop in a few weeks. I think I am going with 3 year old rootlets ( I will order from Emerald Castle ) and trying raised compost beds and direct ground burial in sandy soil with artificial shade. I have been researching Ginseng  for about a year and think I have a basic grasp, BUT, the one thing that confounds me is the price variance between wild ( 300 to 600 per pound by most articles ) and cultivated ( about $40 per pound ) I get the whole cultivated grows " carrot type" roots, fat and short, verses wild with longer more slender roots. I guess what I DON'T get is why we can't more closely simulate wild roots to get better prices? I see most cultivated ginseng is harvested at 3 or 4 years old, while wild is left for 6 to 8 ( depending on who you ask ). I also read some states are forming Coop's to help small growers get leverage on buyers. I am in Illinois and do not find much on the internet at all. I would sure like any opinions.   Dan

Offline Brad

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Price differences cultivated verses wild simulated or wild
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 07:21:04 PM »
I think I talked to you about this on the phone.  I'm hesitant to use compost.  However, it might make for a good experiment.

The difference in price is the differences in the market.  One is for a cultivated crop.  The second is for a wild crafted (or stimulated version thereof) roots.  Where a cultivated operation might produce 6000 dry pounds per acre per year, a wild ginseng digger who sells more than about 7 or 8 pounds a year here in Ohio raises the suspicion of law enforcement.